Subject: Re: [boost] Library metadata
From: Jason Roehm (jasonr_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-02-24 07:18:18

On 02/23/2014 09:55 AM, Daniel James wrote:
> This isn't the final format - I think the standards status fields
> could do with an overhaul to support C++11 etc. You also don't need to
> write the initial files yourself, I'll generate them and create pull
> requests once this is settled.
>
> Let me know what you think.

Maybe this is out of scope, but another piece of metadata that could be
useful would be some indication of compiler support (or non-support).
Since some libraries are known to not work with certain compilers, it
would be nice if there was a standard, central place to find that
information on a library-by-library basis. I once spent a while trying
to find open bugs that would explain why Boost.Coroutine didn't compile
on my system with gcc 4.4. After a lot of searching, I found that this
fact was known and indicated in the regression test configuration (i.e.
gcc 4.4 isn't a supported compiler). I was unable to find this stated
anywhere in the documentation, though. I think it could be beneficial to
users if there was a standard place to find this information quickly.

Jason