Subject: Re: [boost] clang on mingw
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-03-04 12:59:50

On 4 Mar 2014 at 19:08, Peter Dimov wrote:

> I downloaded the mingw-builds setup, mingw-builds-install.exe, then chose,
> somewhat arbitrarily, the default x32 option, x32-4.8.1-posix-dwarf-rev5.
> Using x64 with SEH could have been a better idea.

I would be surprised if GCC + SEH is as reliable as DWARF.
http://gcc.gnu.org/wiki/WindowsGCCImprovements says GCC doesn't do
Windows SEH at all, but the real reason SEH isn't in mainline GCC is
due to patent fears, there has been an implementation for some time.
I assume the mingw-w64 developers decided to merge that patch anyway.

A big reason clang is moving now on Windows SEH support is because
that patent expires very soon now. Soon GCC or especially clang will
be perfectly substitutable for MSVC.

Niall

--
Currently unemployed and looking for work in Ireland.
Work Portfolio: http://careers.stackoverflow.com/nialldouglas/