Subject: Re: [boost] [GSoC 2014] Http Server Proposal
From: Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira (vini.ipsmaker_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-03-06 11:34:26

I'm almost finishing the initial proposal and I hope to send it to you
guys today.

Em Qui, 2014-03-06 às 12:23 +0100, Bjorn Reese escreveu:

> The two leading contenders for C++ HTTP servers based on Boost.Asio
> are
> Pion and cpp-netlib, and you should investigate them:
>
> https://github.com/cloudmeter/pion
> http://cpp-netlib.org/

I've seen mentions to the cpp-netlib before, but I'll take a closer look
now.

About the other one (pion), I don't remember/know. I'll check it too.

> As the HTTP component would have to handle HTTP/1.1 chunking and
> WebSockets, it may be an idea to design it as a streaming parser as
> it provides a unified interface for all HTTP artifacts, including
> the live video streaming that you mention.

Agreed.

> Another use case to
> consider is the UPnP HTTPU (HTTP over UDP.)

The proposal is already too demanding and support for UPnP HTTPU is just
a matter of implementing a new backend.

Maybe I'm not seeing some special need here and I'm wrong. In this case,
just correct me. Even so, it's difficult for you guys to tell whether
the proposal is enough or not when I didn't even published it. I hope to
change that in the following hours of this current day.

> Concerning the URL parser/generator, an URI library has been proposed
> for the C++ standard:
>
> http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2013/n3625.html

I'm following the work of the responsible working group, but thanks for
bringing this to our attention.
;-)

> I would worry more about it becoming too large ;-)

I can always implement the controversial parts and only propose a subset
to be merged within boost, while the whole proposal reaches more
maturity.
=)

--
Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira