Subject: Re: [boost] [thread] Address sanitizer failures on marshall-mac
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-03-07 13:30:44

On 7 Mar 2014 at 20:12, Peter Dimov wrote:

> > I've seen these too when sanitising AFIO. I investigated a few in
> > Boost.Thread and found them false positives.
>
> How could such an error:
>
> ==1193==ERROR: AddressSanitizer: attempting free on address which was not
> malloc()-ed: 0x61600000f7e0 in thread T0
>
> be a false positive?

I saw a few of these when sanitising AFIO. They turned out to be
caused by AFIO using Boost.Thread incorrectly.

Again, I'm not saying that there aren't these bugs in Thread, just
saying that for what AFIO used in Thread I didn't find any not caused
by my poor programming.

I think you mentioned backtracing being a problem? Turn on
asynchronous unwind tables, and turn on frame pointers. Obviously
disable inlining and build with debug info. I have Travis CI do a
valgrind pass on all of AFIO's unit tests every time I make a commit,
I could probably pull the build flags for that if you'd like?

I may also have a valgrind memcheck filter file around. That might
help you too?

Niall

--
Currently unemployed and looking for work in Ireland.
Work Portfolio: http://careers.stackoverflow.com/nialldouglas/