Subject: [boost] [GSOC] Mentors for a C++11 TMP-related project
From: Louis Dionne (ldionne.2_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-03-08 11:58:19

Hi,

I am a student considering to apply for GSOC 2014.

Short story
===========
I would like to know if someone is interested to mentor a project
whose aim is boldly to:
- Document the current state of the art in C++11 template metaprogramming.
- Propose modifications to the current Boost.MPL or perhaps write a TMP
library as a successor to the MPL.

Full story
==========
I have been working on a C++11 TMP library[1] for a while now, and I will
present the state of my work at C++Now 2014. In the process of writing
the library, I experiment with several TMP techniques, which I document
and benchmark. The goal is to propose a new library that improves over
the current MPL in a measurable way (i.e. it's not just my preference).
That library could be seen as a C++11 successor to the MPL and new
code could use that instead of the MPL.

Now, while I expect the library to be fairly advanced by the beginning of
the summer, there will certainly be criticism when I present it publicly.
I see two possibilities here:

(1) Input is negative enough that the idea to propose it is dropped. In that
case, I could work on improvements to the current MPL during the summer.
The kind of improvements I'm talking about range from documentation to
bugfixes to support for C++11 when available.

(2) Input is generally positive and the library is proposed circa the
beginning of the summer. If the library is refused, then I'm back to (1).
Otherwise, I can work on improvements and modifications required for the
library to officially make it in.

In both cases, the scope of the project seems reasonable to me.

There is nothing similar in the list of proposed GSOC projects, so if
someone is interested in mentoring this project, please speak up. I
will then go through the normal process for proposing GSOC projects
and include a more detailed description of it, and we'll see what happens.

Regards,

Louis Dionne

[1]: http://github.com/ldionne/mpl11