Subject: Re: [boost] [GSoC 2014] Http Server Proposal
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-03-08 13:50:27

On 8 Mar 2014 at 14:18, Vinícius dos Santos Oliveira wrote:

> > I ask,
> > because a strong proposal - which you already have now - also needs a
> > proposed mentor to gain GSoC funding.
>
> Now that you mentioned such need to have a proposed mentor earlier than
> I expected, I became a little more worried.

I should quickly explain how GSoC selects projects. Firstly students
submit their proposals. We, the Boost community, then review and rank
the proposals. The rank ordered proposals go to Google who then
usually choose the top X proposals where X is the number of slots
they award.

The community ranking stage you see goes much better for you if you
have a mentor championing your proposal to the community during the
review stage. Without a mentor, you have no such champion.

> > Moreover, that proposed mentor
> > can help you whittle your current proposal into a suitable summer
> > project work item, and I'd like to match you up as soon as possible.
>
> If it's not a problem for you, I'd like to have your help in whittle my
> proposal.

Well, I'll be blunt in saying my main interest in your proposal is
extra testing for AFIO. I'm especially keen on ironing out ASIO-AFIO
interop kinks in real world code.

I'm also not as expert in HTTP and web services as others on this
list who would therefore be better mentors. Besides, I also have a
fair workload in administrating GSoC, it's turning out to be quite a
bit at the moment.

> I just want to finish the descriptions/designs of a usable core set of
> components before the decision of a timeline and deliverables. Do you
> think it's a good idea?

Oh yes, keep going. Potential mentors are watching everything you do
with interest. Just remember to be realistic when scheduling: you
don't get much done in a summer project.

Tip: look more deeply into Pion which is a HTTP implementation based
on Boost.ASIO, it's an alternative to cpp-netlib and it's also Boost
based.

Niall

---
Boost C++ Libraries Google Summer of Code 2014 admin
https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/SoC2014