Subject: Re: [boost] Segment Tree Implementation for GSoC 2014
From: Kevin Zuniga Garate (kevin.zun_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-03-08 19:42:14

On 7 March 2014 06:28, Phil Endecott <spam_from_boost_dev_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> Well, an "augmented tree" is just any kind of tree where there is any
> kind of "augmentation"; I think that's orthogonal to whether the
> internal nodes store data. But that's just a matter of taxonomy.

Now I have a more clear idea on how I can implement a segment tree
using augmented trees and the resultant data structure would be even
better in some aspects.

> I don't think ICL is relevant, except that ICL could be re-implemented
> using augmented trees (interval trees). Of more interest is
> Boost.Intrusive, which would could be extended to support augmented
> trees as Jeff Snyder has proposed in one of the threads that I linked
> to before. Are you familiar with Boost.Intrusive?

I have just started reading Boost.Intrusive documentation, and also
I'm taking a look at Jeff's code.

After reading about augmented trees I think it would be great if I can
work on completing and improving this extension for Boost.Intrusive.
That would be a better addition for Boost, right? Do you think it is
also a good proposal for GSoC, or would it be too complex?

> (Do you have a motivating application?)

Principal reason for this is learning, I'm not involved with any real
application of segment trees right now.

--
Kevin