Subject: Re: [boost] [GSOC] Mentors for a C++11 TMP-related project
From: Louis Dionne (ldionne.2_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-03-09 09:01:56

Niall Douglas <s_sourceforge <at> nedprod.com> writes:

> > - Document the current state of the art in C++11 template metaprogramming.
>
> Replace "Document" with "Review" and I think Google will be happier.
> They don't fund writing literature reviews.

Will do.

> > - Propose modifications to the current Boost.MPL or perhaps write a TMP
> > library as a successor to the MPL.
>
> You'll need to be more concrete for GSoC. Explicit work items e.g.
> replacing all faux variadic templates with real variadic templates.

No problem, it should be possible to get fairly specific. I'll be sure
to do that when/if I apply.

> I think I am not alone in considering your presentation at C++ Now
> 2014 to be a must see. The two other people presenting same slot as
> you (provisional) are very strong and talking on important topics,
> but yours I think will be the most popular for library writers.

Thanks. This is both encouraging and scary :).

> Your mentor and you can decide anything for GSoC, even something very
> controversial. Obviously you need the Boost community to rank your
> proposal highly, but if say you get a member of the Boost steering
> committee to mentor you, I would doubt anyone would rank such a
> proposal poorly. After all, you have written actual implementation
> code which proves you've thought about the problem deeply, and that
> puts you way ahead of most other candidates.

Thanks for the pointer; I will try to get in touch with someone on the
steering committee.

> I haven't looked at your MPL11 replacement library closely enough to
> say whether it's a good replacement for MPL. My personal single
> biggest concern is that I think you need Concepts in the language
> before an MPL replacement can really fly, and that probably removes
> Visual Studio from available compilers which is a showstopper. I
> certainly am looking forward hugely to your C++ Now presentation to
> learn more.

May I ask why would Concepts be necessary for a "new MPL"? Do you have
anything more specific in mind? I would like to know because that might
influence my current work.

Thank you for your helpful reply,

Louis Dionne