Subject: Re: [boost] Creating a new(-ish) library in modular boost ?
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-03-20 13:56:21

On 3/20/2014 1:07 PM, Paul A. Bristow wrote:
> I have fumbled (and stumbled) trying to create a revised-possibly-to-be-proposed
> for Boost library in the new modular boost format.
>
> So far I have created a folder /modular-boost/svg_plot
>
> And copied all the files into it in the new modular format and got the library
> working OK (compiling, tests, examples, docs etc).
>
> Then I created my repository by doing
>
> I:\modular-boost\libs>git init svg_plot
>
> Initialized empty Git repository in I:/modular-boost/libs/svg_plot/.git/
>
> Then I GIT Added various files, and committed these to my repository. (Should I
> have pushed?)
>
> I tried to tell git to ignore some files like log files, etc (but I don't get a
> .gitignore file when I think I should - the Tortoise GIT window has various
> options like .gitignore in the repos root, but no 'OK' button, just a close??? I
> have a .gitignore at /modular-boot/ but it does not contain the files to ignore
> (and I would not expect it to).
>
> I've set the GITHub default storage directory to \modular-boost\libs but a scan
> for repos only find modular-boost
>
> I went to my GITHUB page and followed the invitation to drag the svg_plot
> repository onto the page. Some files are listed (but ones I want to ignore) and
> then all options are unresponsive or greyed out and eventually GITHUB hangs and
> then crashes :-(
>
> So both GIT and I are confused !
>
> Can anyone suggest what sequence of actions I should take to set this up?

The easiest way I found is to setup a GitHub repository under your
GitHub account. Then clone that empty repository to your local
modular-boost/libs. Add all your files to the local repository. Commit
everything. Then push everything back to your GitHub remote (
origin/master ).

Later if you like you can create a local 'develop', merge your local
'master' to 'develop', then push your local 'develop' to
'origin/develop' on GitHub. The you can do the usual changes and testing
on 'develop' before you merge your 'develop' changes back to 'master'.