Subject: [boost] [algorithm] Split that appends
From: Sebastian Karlsson (sebastian_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-04-14 09:18:13

First of all I think it's a bit unintuitive that boost::algorithm::split
swaps with target, I would've assumed it appended. The fact that it in
effect clears target makes it cumbersome to incrementally split into a
destination, as you need a new temporary for every call to split, and then
explicitly transfer everything over to your final destination. The docs do
mention the behavior as a note ( which I presume is precisely because it's
a bit unintuitive ). My question then naturally becomes why does split
behave like this?

As changing the behavior would be a breaking change, do you think it would
be unreasonable to have a split_append?

Kind regards,
Sebastian Karlsson