Subject: Re: [boost] [random] new threefry random engine
From: John Salmon (john_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-04-22 10:51:14

On Mon, Apr 21, 2014 at 7:51 PM, Steven Watanabe <watanabesj_at_[hidden]>wrote:

> AMDG
>
> On 04/21/2014 02:28 PM, John Salmon wrote:
> > <snip>
> > I would love to see a boost implementation that captured and exposed
> > this capability for general use. Thus, I think a better approach is
> > as follows:
> >
> > - define a new "RandomFunction" concept that dscribes/enforces the
> > essential, common features of the randomizing function in Threefry,
> > Philox, ARS and other counter-based random generators.
> >

> I don't think this is a particularly useful
> abstraction. Most users should not care at
> all about this, since they should be using
> the predefined engine typedefs. If more
> similar generators are added later, then the
> implementation can be adjusted to factor
> out the common boilerplate, but I really
> don't see the point of creating a whole new
> concept for this.
>

> I don't think this is a particularly useful
> abstraction. Most users should not care at
> all about this, since they should be using
> the predefined engine typedefs. If more
> similar generators are added later, then the
> implementation can be adjusted to factor
> out the common boilerplate, but I really
> don't see the point of creating a whole new
> concept for this.

It may well be true that most users should use a predefined generator
because the Engine concept is well matched to the style of random
number generator that has been in use for 65 years.

But the question is not whether a RandomFunction abstraction should or
would be used by *most* users. The question is whether it's useful to
*enough* users.

Allow me to try to motivate the RandomFunction abstraction.

The traditional Engine is inherently stateful and sequential. Users
have struggled with using random number generators in parallel
applications for decades (long before Boost.Random). With sequential
generators, a sufficiently motivated and careful user can use the
discard() function to initialize multiple generators in parallel.
For most generators, discard(N) is O(N), defeating its use for this
purpose, but for a few (including Threefry), discard(N) is O(1) making
this a practical, but hardly elegant or natural approach to
parallelism.

Over the years, the idea of using a stateless function has come up
from time to time. The papers and articles that discuss them usually
conclude with a sentiment along the lines of: "This would be great
for parallel random number generation. It's a shame that it's so
slow". They have always been considered curiousities rather than
serious candidates for practical use.

Our contribution was to describe some RandomFunctions that are
statistically sound and extremely fast. I hope our paper is not the
last word on the subject and that more high-quality, high-speed
RandomFunctions follow.

The usage model for RandomFunction is fundamentally different from a
sequential generator. It really helps to put the idea of an Engine or
a generator out of your mind. Imagine instead that all you have a
pure function that takes 128-bit input and returns 128-bit output, and
that the output is "random" as long as you follow the simple rule of
never re-using an input value. How would you create random numbers
for a parallel Monte Carlo simulation?

Parallelism argues against "global state", so you're disinclined to
encapsulate a single global counter into an Engine-like object that calls
the
function. Instead, you think about how and where you actually use
random values. It's likely that you need to associate independent
random sequences with the time-varying logical elements of your
program, stock prices or atoms or finite elements or whatever. You
could associate a 128-bit counter with each logical element that needs
a stream of randoms, and increment the counter every time you need a
new random. But that entails the overhead of storing and
synchronizing counters. Counter state could easily dominate the
program's memory footprint and frequent updates could thrash the
cache.

A better approach is to devise a trivial, application-specific mapping
of time (iteration number) plus some stable aspect your logical
elements (e.g., atom id) into unique 128-bit inputs. You can now
obtain the random values you need, wherever and whenever you need them
simply by generating a unique 128-bit input and calling the
RandomFunction. There is no space overhead. If your parallel
algorithm dictates that you need the same random value, e.g., to
perform an "update" in two different threads or nodes, you just call
the RandomFunction with the appropriate arguments wherever you need it
and you get the results you need, where you need them. In parallel
applications this is much more natural than trying to divvy up a
single stream into multiple substreams by 'discarding' or 'jumping' an
inherently sequential state. It is cheaper and easier than
associating a stateful generator with each of your logical objects and
worrying about the storage and bandwidth to keep them in-sync across
the threads/nodes of a parallel computation.

I believe that if Lehmer, who in 1949 invented the linear congruential
generator, had instead glued together a few shifts and adds and muls
and invented something like Threefry or Philox, then this is how we'd
all think about random number generation today. The 'Engine' concept
is an artifact of the sequential nature of the linear congruential
generator, and its successors. I'm not suggesting that the Engine
concept should go away - 65 years of history carries a lot of inertia.
Plenty of people will and should continue to use it. But I don't
think Engines are the only way or necessarily the best way to think
about generating random values. I think there are many users who
would use and benefit from an exposed RandomFunction concept.

At this point, if I haven't swayed you, then I fear that my powers of
persuasion aren't up to the task. Arguing in the abstract is
difficult. Specifics might help. Maybe someone else who has read
this far and thinks that they would benefit from RandomFunctions can
offer some perspective. Or maybe I'm just wrong. If a RandomFunction
concept isn't going to make it into boost, then I'd still be pleased
to see Thijs' Threefry implementation move ahead.

Cheers,
John Salmon