Subject: Re: [boost] Community Maintenance Team and neglected libraries
From: Daniela Engert (dani_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-04-22 13:36:49

Am 22.04.2014 18:29 schrieb Ben Pope:
> There are quite a few places where the library code is probably fine,
> but the failure is in the test itself, the fix is often simple and
> uncontroversial.
> The responses have been frustrating to say the least, we really need a
> way to move forward on this.

You're so true with your observation. I'm a bit disappointed too.

I'm sitting on a pile of simple patches to cleanup the existing tests
such that I don't have to wade through a morass of level-4 msvc compiler
warnings when running the test suite. This requires both fixes to some
of the libraries themselves (thereby finding real bugs on the way) and
fixes to the test code to get the tests compiled in the first place.
It's those sanitized libraries that I supply to my colleagues for
production code because it's our policy to be absolutely clean on
level-4 warnings. Some months ago, I've prepared some of those patches
(more yet to come) for inclusion into boost mainline, and some of them
were picked up. The rest of my pull requests seems to be neglected. I
prefer to refrain from spamming the mailing lists with reminders, but is
there a better way to get the message through? Dealing with
quality-of-implementation issues and acting like a janitor might not be
the most sexy job in the universe, but I'm happy to do it (rather than
just sitting on the fence) as long as it has an effect, eventually.

Ciao
  Dani