Subject: Re: [boost] [random] new threefry random engine
From: Thijs (M.A.) van den Berg (thijs_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-04-27 09:16:24

> it hands out random numbers from the output the random function fills (which can be 64>bits, eg 256 for threefry, 160 for SHA1).

This is the inverse of the independent bits engine, it down-samples the resolution of the underlying engine, eg it calls the underlying 256 bit engine once every 4 rounds to generate 64 bit random numbers. Maybe we can isolate this functionality into a separate engine adaptor? Right now I have this implemented as an array view on an array with elements of different byte size.