Subject: Re: [boost] [winrt support] Adding support for Windows 8 store/phone to Boost libraries
From: stgates (stgates_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-04-28 14:14:42

Hi Niall,

> Having recently been dismissed from a similar multinational where
> publicly contributing to open source except through your wife's name
> is career damaging/destroying, I firstly want to thank you personally
> for taking the time, effort and risk in the above.

Thanks. To be clear here Microsoft is aware of this work, and is evolving.
It isn't something being done only in my spare time. Microsoft is getting
much better about open source. For example I also work on a C++ open source
project, the C++ Rest SDK <https://casablanca.codeplex.com/> .

> By unnecessary, I mean, for example, if you added a separate
> CreateEventEx implementation just for WinRT when clearly the Win32
> implementation could be modified to work on both Win32 and WinRT.

Yes I completely agree and this is exactly what I did :). For example
instead of just using CreateEventEx for only WinRT I instead made changes to
use CreateEventEx to always be used so it works in Win32 and WinRT.

> You'll get far further and quicker if you can demonstrate that your
> changes cause no regressions and add very little new complexity, and
> it helps to include soak tests. Also, you'll need to write a ton of
> documentation for anything added. See below for an idea to generate
> some goodwill.

I agree, I'm running all the tests to make sure we don't introduce any
regressions. I assume a requirement by any library maintainer would be to
not regress or break tests.

> If you can supply a feed of regular Boost regression testing for
> WinRT (especially if on ARM as well), I think you'd get lots of very
> positive goodwill in return here. This basically involves setting up
> a local machine testing per commit which sends the XML with the
> results to one of Boost's servers. If this is an option, do say so
> and I'm sure the relevant people will chime in.

Ok this is something I will think about exploring.

Thanks for the tips,
Steve