Subject: Re: [boost] Anyone is interested in being review manager of ‘Application’?
From: Sohail Somani (sohail_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-05 15:58:32

On 03/05/2014 9:34 AM, Renato Forti wrote:
> Hi All,
>

> The proposed ‘Boost.Application’, needs a Review Manager. Anyone is
> interested?
>

> The Docs:
>
> http://www.dokfile.com/appbeta4/docs/libs/application/doc/html/index.html

It's certainly a well-documented library but also contains a lot of
different concepts!

Anyway, I don't know about being a review manager but I can make a
suggestion:

The application::context type functions as a service locator (i.e., the
Big Fat Service Locator Pattern). This is generally considered an
anti-pattern because it is difficult to see dependencies for a piece of
code without reading the code itself and even then, you can miss it.

What I would suggest the author (is that you?) look into is a way to
automate the provision of all the data the application needs, perhaps in
the application's constructor or in the function call operator(). The
technique is generally known as dependency injection and is usually
coupled with an inversion of control container. Something that is quite
encouraging is in reading the code for the proposed library, you seem to
have most of the pieces anyway.

I have written my own library for this purpose[1] but it is fairly
unsuitable for consumption by anyone but me. Feel free to steal ideas if
you think they are useful to you.

Sohail

[1] https://bitbucket.org/cheez/dicpp/wiki/Home