Subject: Re: [boost] Is Boost dead? [Re: Anyone is interested in being review manager of ‘Application’?]
From: Christophe Henry (christophe.j.henry_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-08 16:24:53

>> For example, boost-users has a posting rate nearly a third
>> that of before 2011.

>Regarding this, my personal (weakly substantiated) perception is that
>people are migrating to sexier forums such as stackoverflow to get the same
>help.
>For instance, 5-6 years back I could get about 1 question a week about
>Boost.MultiIndex on the users list.
>Now it's like 1 question every 3 months here, but 1-2 a week in
>stackoverflow instead. Blame the crude interface a mailing list provides,
>registration entry barriers etc.

>As for the decline in the dev list, it looks more serious and there's no
>migration theory that could mitigate it. Also, I feel like the maturity
>level of discussions has fallen :-(
>
>Joaquín M López Muñoz
>Telefónica

Frankly I don't see this that negative, at least not yet. Maybe the decrease
of volume is caused by the fact that libraries most people were using are
now part of the STL?
I consider this might change as soon as the mental barrier we're having
about writing C++11/14 only libraries goes and new cool libraries are
written using the new language features.
I'll try to do just this next week at CppNow.

Maybe we also need new people to shake the tree and take an active part to
replace those who are now less active.

Cheers,
Christophe