Subject: Re: [boost] Is Boost dead? [Re: Anyone is interested in being review manager of ‘Application’?]
From: Rene Rivera (grafikrobot_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-16 11:14:06

On Fri, May 16, 2014 at 10:06 AM, Philippe Vaucher <
philippe.vaucher_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> >> partly because it is not modular. The git migration was
> >>
> >> a migration to 100 fractured git repos, not modularized git repos.
> >>
> >> If you want to modularize, then decide that that is a goal for Boost and
> >> will help.
> >>
> >> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/245078
> >

> > I am not entirely sure that perfect dependency structure would change
> > anything. If you have 123 repos,
> > it's gonna be painful no matter what.
>
> I think the idea is that you then only clone the repository you work on.
> Thus if you contribute to 5 libraries, only 5 repositories are checked out.
> Each libraries would be independant in terms of building/testing... and
> it'd still be possible for scripts/tools to clone all 123 repositories and
> run tests on all of them.
>
> But that'd require quite a change in terms of how people are used to work
> with boost at the moment.

That's how I've managed to work with Predef since it's start. It's a bit
easier for Prefer as it has zero dependencies. But it still needs a lot of
the rest of Boost when building docs. But I can see it could be managed if
the structure of the individual modular git repos where changed to support
the explicit dependencies (without using external "build" tools). One
stumbling block as I've thought about this before is that the git subrepo
references are not conducive to easy maintenance (as opposed to the svn
external refs).

--
-- Rene Rivera
-- Grafik - Don't Assume Anything