Subject: Re: [boost] Thoughts on Boost v2
From: Stefan Seefeld (stefan_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-16 13:49:18

Niall,

I agree with your analysis, and to some degree with your conclusions /
proposal. See below.

On 05/16/2014 01:10 PM, Niall Douglas wrote:
> [...]
> rewriter can basically patch all exception throws and have them
> randomly throw for testing.
>
> 7. Per-library source distributions instead of a monolithic blob.
> This implies some dependency management, but cmake makes that much
> easier. It also means we can eliminate the release cycle because each
> library does its own release cycle, and the correct (i.e. tested)
> version of dependencies are included into each per-library source
> distro. This solves the version lock problem currently plaguing
> git-ised Boost, at the cost of pushing the version lock problem onto
> users [1]. BTW I want to see a soak test of the unit tests for 24
> hours be all green before a release.
>
> 8. Reusable utilities in a submitted library need merging into some
> common utilities library which follows the STL conventions. Other
> than that, no source code, naming conventions, namespace or anything
> else needs converting or changing. We are looking for very high
> quality C++ libraries, nothing more. Obviously if someone hopes for a
> library to enter the C++ 17 STL they'll need much more rigour, but
> that's up to them.
>
> 9. There is no longer an "in" or an "out" for distribution. I'm
> thinking of a scorecard page where member libraries are ranked by how
> high quality they are according to all the automated review, so when
> I say "mandatory" above, I simply mean they don't get to appear on
> the main downloads page without that precondition. All submitted
> libraries do appear though, just ranked very low if their quality is
> low. I would hope all this is generated from a database and requires
> very little human input.
>
> 10. BoostBook documentation using the Boost look and feel becomes
> mandatory. I've had enough with library authors thinking they can
> improve on BoostBook's output with things like using Comic Sans as
> the font or weird colour schemes throughout.
>

> So, basically, in some areas requirements are significantly
> tightened. In other areas requirements are significantly loosened.
> The aims of the above ten items are as follows:
>
> 1. To reduce the amount of human work involved in maintaining Boost.
> What Dave and Daniel had to do for the git conversion last year was
> far above what anyone should ever feel they need to do.
>
> 2. To decentralise Boost, letting it scale up far better.
>
> 3. To provide a gradual process of entering Boost which authors can
> tip away at slowly with automated scripts slowly improving their
> rankings instead of the current "lumps" of high intensity output and
> the review approved/failed scheme currently used.
>
> 4. To incentivise authors to maintain their libraries as the quality
> bar is improved - the automated scripts will start to drop library
> rankings as the quality is raised, thus dropping that library in the
> overall rankings. Rather more importantly, it provides a natural
> "deprecation" mechanism, something sorely lacking in my opinion from

My main point of contention is your emphasis on a mandatory set of rules
/ policies. I think the level of modularization needs to be pushed much
further than to exclusively focus on source code layout (and revision
control). The problem isn't really technical, but social: For example,
we engineers love to spend countless hours on tools and infrastructure,
and as a result each suggestion to improve anything in that area draws a
huge amount of attention and energy.
Why not let each library have their own choice of build tool,
documentation format, etc. ? All dependencies need to be explicitly
spelled out, not at the file level, but the package level, so building
library X shouldn't need to be concerned at all about how its
prerequisite library Y was produced (, documented, etc.).
It's of course fine to propose certain tools if they are proven to work
well. But trying to come up with a unified development environment (a la
RYPPL) just seems an invitation for another stall.

In such a world "Boost" merely becomes an umbrella organization with
some administrative, legal, etc. assistance. Criteria for acceptance
shouldn't be based on what development environment developers choose, so
long as certain criteria (license, code quality, etc.) are met and the
project's goal / focus fit into Boost. Needless to say, each library
would have its own release cycle, and dependencies to other boost
libraries should take versions into account, to provide maximum
independence and help packagers.

No need for a central review or release management.

    Stefan