Subject: Re: [boost] Foundational vs non-foundational libraries (was: Re: Thoughts on Boost v2)
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-21 08:42:26

On 21 May 2014 at 13:30, Jonathan Wakely wrote:

> Did exception_ptr come from Boost?
>
> It first appeared in Boost 1.36, nearly two years after Beman's first
> WG21 proposal for exception propagation and 18 months after Peter's
> exception_ptr proposal that was closer.

I did not know that.

> I'm not sure the absence/presence of anything in C11 had much
> influence on C++11, remember C++0x was feature-complete many years
> ago, but it took a long time to bake the final standard (even /losing/
> features along the way).

Ok, I'll put it the other way round then: it's hard to imagine C
standardising a feature without C++ improving/"improving" on it.

> > I personally found this pattern to be highly useful. It suggests to
> > us what added to recent Boost will enter C++ 17 or TR3, so taking a
> > guess:
>
> There isn't going to be a TR2, let alone a TR3, instead there are
> going to be several mostly-independent Technical Specification
> documents.

I'm a victim of Wikipedia on this! I thought I remembered that TRs
were the way of the dodo, but
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%2B%2B_Technical_Report_1#Technical_Rep
ort_2 seemed to indicate TR2 was still happening.

If someone more familiar with the committee's current plans could
update that section correctly, that would be great.

> > ... are very highly likely candidates, as are any of the
> > single-purpose Boost libraries such as Boost.TypeIndex.
>
> Unlikely given we already have std::type_index.

TypeIndex was specifically designed to supersede std::type_index.

> The whole point of a TS is to be experimental, the contents are even
> in namespace std::experimental (that said, what Boost considers
> experimental and what WG21 considers experimental is not the same
> thing :-)

Eh, okay, this is actually news to me that a std::experimental is
planned. Do we know what will enter it yet?

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting
http://www.nedproductions.biz/