Subject: Re: [boost] Convert library -- Andrzej's review
From: Andrzej Krzemienski (akrzemi1_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-22 03:07:18

> I admit I have no slightest idea what "monomorphic lamda" is :-) but that
> is *exactly* what I've done while moving from convert::from() to simply
> convert(). For example,
>
> boost::array<int, 4> integers = {{ 15, 16, 17, 18 }};
> std::vector<std::string> strings;
> boost::cstringstream_converter cnv;
>
> cnv(std::hex)(std::uppercase)(std::showbase);
>
> std::transform(
> integers.begin(),
> integers.end(),
> std::back_inserter(strings),
> *boost::convert<std::string>(cnv));*
>
> For now it has been moved to the post_review branch though.
>
> So far I only found
>
> boost::convert<std::string>(cnv));
>
> has one limitation over
>
> boost::convert<std::string, int>(cnv));
>
> Namely, the latter can do implicit conversions when the former does not.
> That is, for the former to work correctly I have to have a container of
> elements the *correct* type. With the latter I can feed to an algorithm a
> container of elements *convertible* to the explicitly specified TypeIn.
>

> This would be an equivalent of a polymorphic lambda. This appears more
>> useful, at the first sight. Any reason why you choose not to do so?
>>

> Do you think we could have a quick look at the post_review branch and let
> me know if that's what you had in mind?

I had a short look at post_review branch and it looks we are thinking about
the same thing. My apologies for using posh names, I guess I am becoming a
snob. Regarding the comparison between the two interfaces, I guess you
could provide both (it is not a problem, is it?). First is good for a
start. You do not have to think too much or type too much. Then if someone
is interested in limiting the function overloads, she can learn how to use
the second parameter.

Regards,
&rzej