Subject: Re: [boost] Thoughts on Boost v2
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-22 07:38:52

On 21 May 2014 at 9:44, Michael Caisse wrote:

> > It would also resolve the whole question of Boost version v2. Each
> > library can support the version of C++
> > without conflict. Older, core components like Config would support
> > everything while newer more specific
> > libraries like spirit3 would only support C++14/17 etc..

To close off this thread as it looks to be done for now ...

I wish to state for the record that I think this sort of monolithic
ifdef approach a wasted opportunity. I think we need a Python 3.x
over Python 2.x approach, there is a ton more useful refactoring
which can be done with a clean break. I also think that motivating
people to work for free on refactoring a monolithic whole rather than
small clearly defined bits of refactor of only the parts of Boost
useful to C++ 11 is going to be extremely difficult.

And we'll leave it at that.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting