Subject: Re: [boost] Boost 1.56 timeframe
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-23 06:46:48

On Friday 23 May 2014 12:28:39 Andrzej Krzemienski wrote:
> > On Thursday 22 May 2014 18:55:24 Jonathan Jones wrote:
> > > Hi folks,
> > >
> > > Is there a timeframe for the release of Boost 1.56? The current 1.56
> >
> > page
> >
> > > simply states that it's at an early stage in its release cycle (but it
> >
> > has
> >
> > > said this for months).
> > >
> > > http://www.boost.org/users/history/version_1_56_0.html
> > >
> > > I'm asking in the context of Visual Studio 2013. Boost 1.55 is known to
> > > have issues with VS2013, which I'm hoping the 1.56 release would
> > > address.
> >
> > +1
> >
> > I'd like to know the current state of the release. What's left to be done?
> > Any
> > blockers? Is there anything I can do to help it?
> >
> > It's starting to feel like the old days circa 1.34, I wouldn't like to see
> > that happen again. If there is no Boost release in the forseeable future,
> > should the library authors initiate their library independent releases?
>
> From reading the instructions for Modular Boost maintenance (
> https://svn.boost.org/trac/boost/wiki/StartModMaint) I gathered that it is
> already an encouraged practice. A commit in branch master is to be treated
> as the new release of your library -- and you can do it whenever you like,
> and use your own numbering convention.

Given that most libraries have dependencies, this is not the kind of release
to be consumed by users (I wouldn't call it a release in the first place). If
I want to release my library, I have to package it along with other Boost libs
it depends on or state clearly how to obtain the required versions of these
libs. How to make that "statement" is a big question that was discussed many
times in this list, with no definitive answer.

Would it count as a release if we just tag the Boost superproject master as
1.56? Is there more to it?