Subject: Re: [boost] [review] Convert library
From: Vladimir Batov (Vladimir.Batov_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-25 23:34:51

On 05/26/2014 12:44 PM, Hartmut Kaiser wrote:
> Volodya,
>
>> Thank you for your input. It's much appreciated. From the critical tone
>> of your post I'll take it you are voting "no". If you did not state it
>> by accident, then I am happy to do that for you. If you did not state it
>> intentionally, then I think you should as you should not be shying away
>> from your community responsibilities. :-) Please find my replies below.
> I intentionally have not cast a vote as I don't have put enough effort into
> a proper review. My main goal was to support Jeroen in his review.
>
> In any case, I wanted to mention a possible alternative to the design using
> optional<>. Boost.Filesystem and Boost.Asio give a nice precedent on how to
> construct a library interface supporting both, throwing and non-throwing
> functions without introducing penalties for either case (based on
> Boost.System). Using something similar for Convert seems to be a good idea.

I seem to be managing slowly pulling Jeroen onto my "dark" side :-) but
his "conditional yes" vote so far is on the condition of "the interface
being simplified for the seemingly simple cases"... which echoes very
much with your reservations/revulsions ;-) regarding "optional"
deployment. So, so far, IMO his vote can only responsibly be counted as
"no"... given that everything else revolves around the proposed
interface... that you and Jeroen... and quiet a few others are not
exactly happy with... And that's perfectly fine by me. No drama.

Thank you for the Boost.Filesystem and Boost.Asio pointers.
Unfortunately, I am not familiar with the libs. If they indeed handle
deployment cases similar to those I've been moaning about, then it might
be wise to postpone going any further with "convert" and study those
libs for already-existing/established solutions... without
"optional"-generated controversy... Maybe someone else could shed more
light on that?...