Subject: Re: [boost] [review] Convert library
From: Vladimir Batov (vb.mail.247_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-26 06:34:31

Roland Bock-2 wrote
> On 2014-05-26 10:45, Vladimir Batov wrote:
>> ..
>> So, I had to be mindful of that.
>
> Sorry, if I annoyed you. Documenting is horribly hard since you know
> your motivation and library inside out.
> On the other hand, you received several pieces of input for
> documentation that could be changed quickly. Why not change them during
> the review (easy for me to say, I know)?

First, apologies. For taking it on you. The last 2 weeks have be somewhat
exhausting. Yes, the docs are not perfect... although I've been somewhat
disappointed as I felt we've been focusing too much on documentation rather
than the design and api. Without the latter there is no point in
documentation.

As for "why not change them during the review" I was explicitly instructed
by my review manager not to touch the master branch during review. All the
suggestions (code and docs) are going into the port_review branch.

>>> And I was not (knowingly) suggesting API changes that reduce
>>> applicability for generic programming. In fact the ability to provide a
>>> callable to handle the conversion problems is much better suited than
>>> returning a default value and testing for it, IMHO. It is probably also
>>> performing better than throwing and catching exceptions.
>> I never thought of that. It sounds potentially interesting. I myself have
>> no
>> experience of such deployment... Might be an overkill as so far
>> "optional"
>> served my purposes well... It'd be easier to see real compilable code
>> with
>> realistic examples... even if it is merely string->int. ;-)
> We're using such an interface for looking up elements in a map. If the
> key is invalid, the function is called.
>
> Very nice, for instance, to log and throw.

Do you think you might post some simplified deployment example without
divulging trade secrets and killing me with the details? :-)