Subject: Re: [boost] [Math] Rationale Behind Epsilon Values
From: JOHN MADDOCK (boost.regex_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-27 14:44:41

The issue is this:

Our tests, and some of the code in the headers as well assume that:

x + x * eps != x for all x.

It's kind of a fundamental requirement for sensibly reasoning about the
bahaviour of floating point types.

But on platforms that use gcc's weird "double double" type as a long
double, then numeric_limits<long double>::epsilon() is the rather insane
value of 4.9406564584124654e-324. Technically this is correct, since
adding 1.0L to this value does indeed yield a distinct value, but the
broarder condition we rely on above holds only for x = 1, not all x.

The workaround is to use 2^(1-D) for epsilon, where D is the number of bits
precision in the type: in this case 106 as opposed to 64 on x86, or 113 for
a "true" 128-bit floating point type. Note that for any "normal" binary
floating point type F, then, numeric_limits<F>::epsilon and ldexp(F(1),
1-numeric_limits<F>::digits) yield the same value. It's just these problem
"double double" types that fail this test.

HTH, John.