Subject: Re: [boost] [config][predef] Is it OK for boost.config to depend on boost.predef?
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-29 09:05:03

On Thu, May 29, 2014 at 4:52 PM, Daniel James <dnljms_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 29 May 2014 12:59, Beman Dawes <bdawes_at_[hidden]> wrote:
>>
>> Also, Git says you merged the new version of <boost/detail/endian.hpp> to
>> master on 9/9/13, and merged libs/predef develop to master on 1/2/14. What
>> am I missing?
>
> The predef master branch isn't a continuation of the subversion
> release branch, we switched to the original git branch a while ago, so
> the histories of the two repos aren't going to be in sync (this was
> agreed long before the git conversion, so no complaining please).
> Checkouts of old versions of the superproject will be, so if you want
> to look at historical versions, that's the place to look. This is
> actually the case in general as some modules have done fast-forward
> merges to master, so you can't tell when a change was merged to
> release, only when it was first committed.

I think there's misunderstanding. Rene said he didn't merge Predef to
master but it is clearly there (and it should be since it was released
in 1.55), and that was the source of confusion. Apparently he meant
that he didn't merge some of the pending changes, so the questions
are:

- Is my interpretation correct?
- Is the version of Boost.Predef in master usable (i.e. can be
released in 1.56)?
- Is the version of Boost.Predef in master suitable for Boost.Config
needs? I.e. does it have the functionality Boost.Config needs and is
that functionality stable?