Subject: Re: [boost] [modularization] proposal and poll
From: Bjørn Roald (bjorn_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-31 08:25:27

On 05/31/2014 01:41 PM, Andrey Semashev wrote:
> On Saturday 31 May 2014 13:23:56 Bjørn Roald wrote:
>>
>> I am not sure the Grief need to be so bad. Are you assuming all modules
>> have to be maintained in separate Git repositories? That does not have
>> to be the case.
>
> Can you actually download a part of a git repository?

Not with Git in any straight forward way.

> If not, I think this
> kind of defeats the modularization purpose, which is basically to reduce the
> amount of code you need to download to obtain a minimal part of Boost.

Defining that a repository can consist of multiple modules, does not
prevent reducing dependencies between repositories.

Dependencies only matter when you use some tool on a module. If that
tool is a C++14 compiler which does not require some support module to
be available to emulate a certain C++14 feature, then there is no
dependency. If that support feature live in some other module, then
that is not needed. You do not need to fetch the repository containing
the module.

Another example is if you have a serialization support module in a
library/repo, maybe a single header file. That module would only incur
a dependency to the serialization library/repo if you are in fact using
serialization, in which case there is no problem. You do not need to
fetch the serialization library if you do not use it.

--
Bjørn