Subject: Re: [boost] [next_generation][modularization] Is the community interested in creating a smooth path to a modularized Boost
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-05-31 10:44:15

On 31 May 2014 at 16:18, Vicente J. Botet Escriba wrote:

> I'm persuaded that we need a new Boost repository (or whatever we want
> to name it) that would include libraries that respect the modularization
> constraints we could define.

Apart from the lack of requiring C++ 11 as a minimum, and that
everything be formally packaged as C++ Modules ready for 17, this is
pretty much identical to what I proposed as a fork.

> I recognize that this would mean a lot of work, however I hope that the
> final result would satisfy better the community expectations and the
> quality of Boost libraries.

Whilst not as ambitious as what I proposed, your proposal is plenty
sufficient Vicente to in my opinion reinvigorate Boost. And it is a
good compromise for those in the 03 camp.

I don't think the work involved is the problem. It's motivating
people to give up time with their families to work on Boost. Solve
that and you cure the disease.

I support your proposal. I agree a document laying out the structure
of a new empty repository is the first step. Who will volunteer to
work on such a specification document?

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting