Subject: Re: [boost] [iterator][range] Old breaking change in develop.
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-06-02 16:24:33

On 2 June 2014 20:15, Eric Niebler <eniebler_at_[hidden]> wrote:
> On 06/02/2014 01:34 AM, Daniel James wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> There's an old breaking change to iterator_facade in iterator's
>> develop branch, which is apparently needed for iterator_range
>> (although it seems to have got by without it):
>>
>> https://github.com/boostorg/iterator/commit/512298cb5cf4b7ca5e8000f41bb39bda7f7bb6eb
>>
>> Please can someone who cares about it decide if that's something that
>> should be released, and if they think it is, take responsibility for
>> it (documentation, release notes, support, etc.). If not, I think it
>> should be reverted.
>
> What is your rationale for reverting the change?

Unmerged changes cause maintenance problems. There are later changes
that need to be merged, and we shouldn't have to mess around with
cherry-picking because of some abandoned changeset. If no one cares
enough about it to support it then what else can we do with it?
Release it with no support, keep it unreleased in develop where it can
only cause problems, neither is a good idea.

If someone is willing to maintain the library, that's great. If not
and it gets reverted, and in the future someone wants to redo the
change, they can still do that, it will still be in the version
history. Nothing is deleted.