Subject: Re: [boost] A few more critical dependencies
From: Daniel James (dnljms_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-06-05 19:42:53

On 5 June 2014 17:01, Peter Dimov <lists_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> Most of the history of this file is from the SVN and the transition doesn't
> preserve any merge points, so the two branches appear completely separate,
> even though the commits turn out to be actually identical in this case.

That's because 'git log' includes the commits from both branches when
they're merged. I don't know why you think you need to transfer all
the history, but if you really must, put it in a branch from the merge
base of origin and develop (i.e. git checkout $(git merge-base
origin/master origin/develop) -b whatever), and then do a non fast
forward merge into both branches - so that it's obvious that it's a
separate line of development, and you don't need to merge existing
changes in develop in order to do that.

But I wouldn't transfer the history, it just creates a load of noise
that gets in the way. And it isn't at all clear what happened. If
someone wants to see the old history, it's easy enough to check the
original repo.