Subject: [boost] conversion, cast.hpp (Was: [modularization] Recommendations)
From: Peter Dimov (lists_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-06-08 10:15:32

Stephen Kelly wrote:
> Peter Dimov wrote:
>
> > cast.hpp probably also needs to die, the polymorphic casts going into
> > their own header. This will be post-release because it will break code,
> > though.
>
> Actually it doesn't need to be a breaking change.
>
> You can create a new polymorphic_cast.hpp in core and #include that in
> cast.hpp, and move that cast.hpp (which now only contains two includes) to
> numeric. Then you can deprecate cast.hpp with a pragma warning and port
> any uses of it to include polymorphic_cast.hpp instead. Non breaking
> change.

Yes, you are right. Moving cast.hpp to numeric/conversion is a better way to
deal with it. There'll be no need to remove the numeric/ include then, and
it will truly be a non-breaking change.

Re moving *_cast.hpp to Core, I actually prefer the other way, moving
lexical_cast to its own module. Conversion will then drop to level 2, same
as Core.