Subject: Re: [boost] Guidelines to implement Boost library evolution policy (was Boost 2.0)
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-06-08 11:14:04

On 8 Jun 2014 at 11:16, Stephen Kelly wrote:

> >>The Jeff Garland case study tells us that the past problem is already
> >>solved
> >>using Boost from the present or the past. You don't need to solve that
> >>problem again.
> [snip]
> And it then illustrates that 'older' means 1996 era compilers.
>
> If you think it should mean something different, I recommend you edit the
> document, or qualify what 'older' means.

No, I think Jeff's use case does refer to that age of compiler. To my
best understanding, he had a large code base based on ancient
compilers which he successfully got compiling with C++ 11 mode
switched on thanks to Boost. I understand he believes that a more
rapid switch of Boost to requiring all C++ 11 would be a great loss
to Boost and to those in his situation. I understand he therefore
believes such ideas should be opposed.

I agree that this is a valuable use case for Boost, and one worth
significant monies to large corporate persons as well as to Jeff. The
bee in my bonnet is why bug fixing and maintaining C++ 98
compatibility is expected for free from volunteers. I think that if
they want C++ 98 support, those users should pay what such support is
worth. Meanwhile, the volunteers can get back to pushing the state of
the art as it is their family time, not free work donated to wealthy
corporate persons who give little to nothing back in return.

> Robert Ramey also emailed to make that point in much stronger terms (and on
> very dubious claims).
>
> Robert, if you want to participate in the discussion I recommend you resolve
> you problem with posting to this mailing list.

I do wish Robert would email this list instead of privately, unless
what he speaks about isn't for public consumption. I already know
Robert's position, though don't get me wrong I don't mind being
reminded in case my memory is faulty.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting