Subject: Re: [boost] conversion, cast.hpp (Was: [modularization] Recommendations)
From: Antony Polukhin (antoshkka_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-06-08 13:58:22

> Antony Polukhin wrote:
>
> This does not look right. polymorpic_cast and polymotphic_downcast do not
>> look like they belong to Numeric. They do not deal with numbers at all.
>>

> The proposal is:
>
> - move the polymorphic casts into their own header, in conversion,
> boost/polymorphic_cast.hpp;
> - move boost/cast.hpp, which is now
>
> #include <boost/implicit_cast.hpp>
> #include <boost/polymorphic_cast.hpp>
> #include <boost/numeric/conversion/cast.hpp>
>
> into numeric/conversion, pending deprecation.

This looks reasonable.

BTW what about the new Conversion library (was it accepted?)? If it was
accepted, then it will add a lot of dependencies and it would be better to
separate it from the old conversion library.

> Most part of the Conversion dependencies are related to the LexicalCast.
>> Moving it into a separate module looks reasonable. It is already
>> represented as a separate library on the website.
>>

> Everyone seems to agree on that, so what do you need to move forward with
> it? Will just an empty 'lexical_cast' repository be enough, or do you need
> me to do something else? Perhaps cloning the current contents of
> 'conversion' into 'lexical_cast' may be a better starting point?

Repo with cloned contest of conversion would be great. I'll do the
remaining part of the work tomorrow (remove the files of other libraries,
update the docs... ).

Please make a repo.

--
Best regards,