Subject: Re: [boost] [convert] Performance
From: Thijs (M.A.) van den Berg (thijs_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-06-12 02:45:02

On Jun 12, 2014, at 2:30 AM, Joel de Guzman <djowel_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> I do not think a random distribution of number of digits is a
> good representation of what's happening in the real world. In
> the real world, especially with human generated numbers(*), shorter
> strings are of course more common.

A well known real world property is Benford's law, often used in fraud detection to check is numbers are fake or "natural".

If you draw random numbers uniformly from the logarithmic scale then you'll get that scale invariant property. I think that leads to a random number of digits?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Benford's_law#Mathematical_statement