Subject: Re: [boost] [Modularization] Variant -> Math and the Serialization issue
From: John Maddock (boost.regex_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-06-16 03:46:48

> If the variant -> math edge is removed, we get this:
>
> http://www.steveire.com/boost/june-15-serialization-no-variant-math.png
> http://www.steveire.com/boost/june-15-serialization-no-variant-math.dot
>
> which is already a significant improvement. There may be more low hanging
> fruit remaining.
>
> Variant depends on math for a single metafunction.
>
> boost::math::static_lcm
>
> Can something be changed to make Variant not depend on Math?

Before we start reimplementing functionality:

1) There was talk of moving the compile-time-integer functionality out
of Math and into Integer.
2) At some point I will probably try and re-factor Math into smaller
chunks, but...

* Not until after the release, and,
* I want to see where this is going: at present any potential usefulness
to all this modularization is frankly vaporware. I realize there is a
chicken-and-egg situation here, but until we have some user-focused
tools for handling dependencies it's not clear to me at least what the
best/optimal form of refactoring actually is. And I only want to do it
once ;-)

My suggestion would be to park issues and possible solutions on the Wiki
until we get the release out?

John.