Subject: Re: [boost] merging the super-project
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-16 20:14:22

On 16 Jul 2014 at 22:57, Peter Dimov wrote:

> Daniel James wrote:
> > Cherry picking should work. It's hard to tell what the issue with local
> > changes is without seeing what they actually are.
>
> I sometimes get inexplicable local changes when the branch has been
> force-pushed. git reset --hard origin/master fixes it (assuming git checkout
> master).

If you ever force push, all bets are off, and you or more likely
somebody else using your repo will lose data.

Never, *ever* force push. Reset/throw away history and try again. A
month of critical business work of a six person team at a former
employer of mine was lost by a guy doing a force git push. They
should really disable that feature of git, it's too easy to use.

As an aside, a few days ago I foolishly ignored my time tested
knowledge that force pushing will eat data and did a force push to a
repo used exclusively by my CI. Every night my CI takes my repos and
merges them with the client's repos, soak unit tests them and if all
passes it pushes a unified copy back.

Well, you can just guess what happened next. It wasn't pretty. I
thank ZFS daily snapshots for being life savers.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting
http://www.nedproductions.biz/