Subject: Re: [boost] [container] New container: why is everybody silent?
From: Nevin Liber (nevin_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-17 14:06:26

On 17 July 2014 06:44, Aleksandr Kupriianov <alexkupri_at_[hidden]> wrote:

> > Some library developers might wonder how btree_seq
> > is different from std::list. What missing niche in the STL
> > does btree_seq intend to fill?
>
> Shortly speaking my thing is between list and vector.

Instead of yet another container, have you thought about adding another
kind of index to Boost.Multi-index? The big benefit to that is that it
makes it very easy to compare different types of indices with real world
data. I've done this kind of thing with sequenced indices vs. random
access indices.

> Another niche is possible porting string on its basis. I.e., something like
> this:
>
> typedef string_abstraction<char,vector> string;
> typedef string_abstraction<char,btree_seq> scalable_string;

Unlikely to be that useful, as the iterator invalidation and contiguous
guarantees are vastly different in the two cases.
 --
 Nevin ":-)" Liber <mailto:nevin_at_[hidden]> (847) 691-1404