Subject: [boost] Parallel Sorting Algorithms
From: Melkowski, Kevin M. (MU-Student) (kmm4mc_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-17 14:16:47

I noticed on the google summer of code page that multi-threading and sorting algorithms such as the Radix Sort was a big interest right now.
I’ve been developing an open-sourced parallel Radix Sort for a while now and wanted to submit it to a library.
This algorithm sorts positive and negative values for each standard data type.
The code I have can be found here: https://github.com/Kevincav/Radix-Sort.

When running tests for this, on my laptop I managed to sort 1 billion uniformly distributed floats in about 45 seconds.
When I tested std::sort with the same test it never finished, it sorted 100 million floats finished around that time though.
This is optimized for both C and C++ programs, the documentation isn’t done yet so that’s one thing I still need to finish.

This is my first post and I tried to follow the guidelines, hopefully it wasn’t a bad first post.
Thanks for reading,
Kevin