Subject: Re: [boost] quince: queries in C++ expressions
From: Roland Bock (rbock_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-21 03:58:45

On 2014-07-21 04:40, Gavin Lambert wrote:
> On 18/07/2014 20:02, Michael Shepanski wrote:
>> The thing that amazes me most is that we are such a small club. When I
>> read things online about how ORM is "the Vietnam of computer science",
>> and the way people seemed to have coined the phrase "impedance mismatch"
>> specifically to mean "I'm sad because I can't write queries in my
>> programming language", I wonder why everyone isn't attempting this.
>
> Speaking for myself, here, but nowadays I punt things like database
> access to C# code, where just about everything is trivial (there's
> libraries for everything, and even if you want to hand-roll the SQL
> you can make a basic bare-persistence ORM in less than a page of code).
>
> Which isn't to say that I wouldn't be thrilled if there were a good
> C++ database library. It's just that historically there hasn't been
> (to my knowledge), and I haven't minded that all that much because I
> usually regard C++ as useful for high-performance code and integration
> with third-party native libraries, and C# as useful for everything else.
>
> Now excuse me while I don my flame-retardant coat, for daring to post
> such things in a C++ mailing list. ;)
Don't waste your time looking for such garment. You might as well spend
it to contribute to quince to sqlpp11 :-)

>From my perspective there is much work to be done and fame to be gained
in this area. Write connectors/backends for additional databases, or in
case of sqlpp11, write non-string-based connectors, or write SQL
frontends to std::stream or JSON, or add missing features (e.g. cursors,
create_table, alter_table in sqlpp11).

All of this would be hard to do with flame retardant gloves, though ;-)

Cheers,

Roland