Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost Library Incubator] Unable to submit library
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-21 11:56:05

On Monday 21 July 2014 08:16:10 Robert Ramey wrote:
> Paul A. Bristow-2 wrote
>
> > The issue of generated (mainly html) files in GIT is still a nuisance.
>
> I totally disagree with this.
>
> > If you are a sole developer, then it is quite easy - you simply include
> > all the
> > /doc folder with /html etc in GIT.
> >
> > But if you are developing *with* someone else, these generated files are a
> > PITA.
> >
> > You have keep reverting the /html files every time you want to GIT pull.
> >
> > And you have push the updated docs every time too - and these may be quite
> > big.
> >
> > I don't see a better way round this yet. Ideas?
>
> I don't see any problem here at all. From time to time the html files will
> get of sync with the *.qbk files. To sync them up, one of the developers
> generates the new html and pushes it to the master branch - game over
> and easy as pie. Best of all - nothing more to distribute. Anyone using
> the incubator link will automatically be using the most recent version
> on the master branch.

Keeping auto-generated files in git is not a good idea. Syncing is not as
simple as it may seem, it also spams history and increases the repo size.
There was a discussion about this earlier, and I think the consensus was
unanimous.

IMO, Blincubator should not encourage developers to store auto-generated files
in git. It should offer a way to publish built docs or an easy way to
integrate with a third party hosting. Otherwise it is not a suitable platform
for publishing and reviewing libraries.