Subject: Re: [boost] quince: queries in C++ expressions
From: Michael Shepanski (mps_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-21 22:25:12

On 22/07/2014 8:09 AM, Mostafa wrote:

> That's what I figured, and Boost.Preprocessor could be used to take
> care of the variadic templates. My only concern, and maybe Michael can
> chime in here, would be the use of temporaries. In C++11 they could be
> moved, but in C++03 they may have to be copied, and I wonder if that
> would become costly with quince's design.

Re temporaries: no alarm bells are going off in my head. I suspect that
all that's at issue are small-scale optimizations that shouldn't
influence us unless measurement shows otherwise.

Overall comments about replacing variadic templates with
Boost.Preprocessor and decltype with Boost.TypeOf:

- I experienced some difficulties with internal compiler errors, and
other discrepancies between compilers. I suspect that a change to
different mechanisms would produce a different set of such pragmatic
problems. It may very well be that Boost.Preprocessor and Boost.TypeOf
lead to *fewer* problems than variadic templates and decltype -- but the
latter problems have all been worked around already.

- I do like the brevity of expression in C++11.

Cheers,
--- Michael