Subject: Re: [boost] [Boost Library Incubator] Unable to submit library
From: Robert Ramey (ramey_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-22 10:57:53

Gavin Lambert wrote
> On 22/07/2014 07:50, Robert Ramey wrote:
>> Andrey Semashev-2 wrote
>>> Keeping auto-generated files in git is not a good idea. Syncing is not
>>> as
>>> simple as it may seem, it also spams history and increases the repo
>>> size.
>>> There was a discussion about this earlier, and I think the consensus was
>>> unanimous.
>>
>> lol - maybe it was unanimous among those who see it as an issue.
>
> It should be unanimous among everybody. Those who don't think they
> object to it have merely not yet encountered the merge hell that it
> generates.

true - no one who does it the way I do will encounter such "merge hell"
so they will see no problem with it.

> (To be clear: -1 for generated files in Git.)

Got it

> I would suggest going a step further and explicitly recommending
> *against* that (unless the HTML is manually written instead of
> generated) -- instead the link should be to some separately maintained
> location which is updated by the maintainer (or some automated CI
> process) when changes to the docs are committed to the main repo.

since I don't agree with it, I'm certainly not going to recommend it.

But note that all the pages in the incubator which offer (my personal)
advice have the option for users to post their own differing views.
But I seen now for this issue, this wouldn't help since no where in
these sections to I offer any advice on this topic so there is no place
to post such a comment. Perhaps I'll find a place for "miscellaneous"
or some such. It's certainly not urgent since there have only been
a few such comments over many months.

Robert Ramey