Subject: Re: [boost] Use of third-party libraries
From: Gavin Lambert (gavinl_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-23 19:23:21

On 24/07/2014 01:13, Michael Shepanski wrote:
> Taking your lead and daring to imagine a future with quince backend
> code for a great many DBMSes, I ask: what do you propose? Would there be
> a separate boost/libs/quince_xyz for each DBMS xyz?

I'm not sure exactly how it works but from the modularisation discussion
it's evident that Boost's library structure supports "sub-libraries"
(aka submodules) that exist in the same repository but are built separately.

I suspect what you'll probably want to do would be to create a "core"
submodule that each of the separate backend submodules depend on (each
of those also depending on a single external library as needed), and
then finally a "front-end" top level that doesn't directly depend on
anything but the core, but allows any of the DB-specific backends to be
used with it.

Boost.Numeric seems to be an existing example of a library divided into
submodules.

Boost.Math seems to be an example of a library without submodules that
nevertheless builds multiple output libraries.

I'm not sure which style is "preferred".