Subject: Re: [boost] [1.56.0 b1] Issue with mpl/is_convertable/asio
From: Andrey Semashev (andrey.semashev_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-28 22:55:29

On Monday 28 July 2014 16:55:51 Thomas Suckow wrote:
> In testing '1.56.0 Beta 1' I have found that I am unable to compile
> https://github.com/splunk/pion on RHEL6_x64 Pion compiles fine with 1.55.0
>
> I suspect the recurring "anonymous enum" is the kicker, though I am not sure
> where to even begin in diagnosing this. error: ‘const
> boost::asio::detail::buffer_sequence_adapter_base::<anonymous enum>&’
> is/uses anonymous type error: no type named ‘type’ in ‘struct
> boost::is_convertible<const
> boost::asio::detail::buffer_sequence_adapter_base::<anonymous enum>&, const
> boost::iterator_range_detail::iterator_range_tag&>’ error: ‘value’ is not a
> member of ‘boost::mpl::aux::nested_type_wknd<boost::is_convertible<const
> boost::asio::detail::buffer_sequence_adapter_base::<anonymous enum>&, const
> boost::iterator_range_detail::iterator_range_tag&> >’
>
> Full error log:
> http://pastebin.com/yeScQCpx
>
> If I get a chance I will see if I can reproduce this on a more modern
> compiler.
>
> Any assistance in correcting this before the 1.56.0 release would be
> appreciated. It also may or may not be related to
> http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/253259/focus=253261

I think it's the same issue that has been described here:

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lib.boost.devel/249985/focus=249986

I can create a pull request to fix this locally in ASIO, if there is a chance
to merge it into 1.56. But that will only fix this particular breakage; I
can't tell if there are other similar places.

I'm worried by Boost.Range abusing boost namespace and interfere name lookup
this way. A similar problem was with Boost.Iterator and I moved it to its own
namespace. I think the same should be done for Boost.Range.