Subject: Re: [boost] [geometry] Querying for Points nearest to a Segment.
From: Menelaos Karavelas (menelaos.karavelas_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-30 03:59:31

Hi Jeremy.

On 30/07/2014 05:30 πμ, Jeremy Murphy wrote:
> On 29/07/2014 11:46 AM, "Adam Wulkiewicz" <adam.wulkiewicz_at_[hidden]> wrote:

>>> Veering slightly off topic but still related to Geometry development,
>> I've
>>> hit some hurdles with the rtree index. I could create an index of points
>>> easily but then couldn't query for the nearest neighbour of a segment.
>> (I
>>> assume this is simply not supported at present; is it forthcoming?) So I
>>> created a ring or polygon from the segment and tried to query for the
>>> points that it covers/intersects, which is a feature listed in the
>>> documentation, but I've hit this compilation error:
>>>
>> Which version of Boost are you using?
>>
> 1.55.
>
> Ahh, I had an almost identical test program except for one line. I had:
>
> typedef boost::geometry::model::d2::point_xy<double> Point;
>
> Is that type meant to have different behaviour to the general point model?

No, it should behave the same, and in that sense you have stumbled upon
a bug.

I reproduced the error, and I know how to fix it.
I expect to create a PR for that within the day. I still have not
figured out yet why there is a need for a fix, so please bare with me
until I can give you a more complete status report.

In any case it will be fixed in develop and you will be able to use
either one of the point models in discussion.

Best,

- m.