Subject: [boost] Lock free condition_variable or using shared_lock
From: Kirk Liberty (kirk.liberty_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-29 22:57:57

I'm not too familiar with the mechanisms which underlie mutexs and
conditionals, which is why I'm asking this question.

Is it possible to modify condition_variable so that wait() can be called on
shared_lock? The use case would be it is acceptable to release all threads
waiting on a condition_variable when notify_all() is called. Using a
unique_lock, every thread who wakes up will then have to obtain the lock
before proceeding; this being a potential bottleneck.

An even more performant alternative to using shared_lock would be with a
dummy lock never blocks when dummy_lock.lock() is called.

These are things I would like to contribute, but I need would need some
guidance and a review of feasibility.

Thanks for the help,
Kirk