Subject: Re: [boost] Showstopper for Boost 1.56?
From: Edward Diener (eldiener_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-30 20:02:41

On 7/30/2014 2:58 PM, Eric Niebler wrote:
> On 7/29/2014 6:45 AM, Peter Dimov wrote:
>> Niall Douglas wrote:

>>> (variadic macros, at least). So I don't see why these warnings should

>>> That occurred to me too, so I tried -std=c++11 and got the same
>>> warnings spew.
>>
>> Definitely a clang bug then. It should not enable C99 warnings by
>> default in C++11 mode. The fix is to disable the warning in the Jamfile.
>> I thought that the clang toolset already did that as we've discussed
>> this issue with Edward Diener in the past, but I can't find
>> -Wno-c99-extensions anywhere.
>
> Is someone working on a fix? I'd be willing to take a patch that
> suppresses the warning from the Jamfile(s). That's obviously
> unsatisfactory since it doesn't help people who build in other ways.

The warnings do not occur with the test in Boost PP and the .jamfile
there, nor do they occur when I run the tests in my VMD library which
heavily uses Boost PP and variadic macros.

I am working to determine what command-line option(s) are triggering the
warnings AFIO is generating using the Boost PP and/or my VMD tests. If I
can determine that I will try to see if specifying -Wno-c99-extensions
gets rid of the warnings.

The ticket Niall created is against Boost Build. If I determine that the
fix in the ticket is valid, I think its up to Vladimir Prus to implement
the change in Boost Build if it is deemed necessary for 1.56. I do not
see that a pragma addition in Boost PP is reasonable.