Subject: Re: [boost] Showstopper for Boost 1.56?
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-31 04:40:57

On 30 Jul 2014 at 21:10, Edward Diener wrote:

> >> I thought that the clang toolset already did that as we've discussed
> >> this issue with Edward Diener in the past, but I can't find
> >> -Wno-c99-extensions anywhere.
> >
> > Is someone working on a fix? I'd be willing to take a patch that
> > suppresses the warning from the Jamfile(s). That's obviously
> > unsatisfactory since it doesn't help people who build in other ways.
>
> The warnings mentioned in the OP are emitted when the '-pedantic'
> compiler option is used but do not appear otherwise. To get rid of the
> warnings when '-pedantic' is used you need to add '-Wno-c99-extensions'
> and '-Wno-variadic-macros' compiler options.

Note that AFIO does not use either Boost.Preprocessor nor -pedantic.

The following libraries use -pedantic and therefore generate warning
spew on clang with Preprocessor:

Chrono
Thread
Test

> It is up to Boost whether they want to add '-Wno-c99-extensions' and
> '-Wno-variadic-macros' when compiling with clang. I do not know how this
> is done in the clang jam files but I suspect Vladimir Prus does know and
> could implement this change in Boost Build if it is deemed necessary.

An alternative is to remove -pedantic on clang.

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting
http://www.nedproductions.biz/