Subject: Re: [boost] Showstopper for Boost 1.56?
From: Niall Douglas (s_sourceforge_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-07-31 18:08:18

On 31 Jul 2014 at 13:00, Peter Dimov wrote:

> > The following libraries use -pedantic and therefore generate warning spew
> > on clang with Preprocessor:
> >
> > Chrono
> > Thread
> > Test

> > An alternative is to remove -pedantic on clang.
>
> Or, whoever adds -pedantic to the command line also needs to
> add -Wno-c99-extensions and -Wno-variadic-macros.

Ok, so solutions to stopping tens of megabytes of compiler warnings
spew for a build of Boost 1.56 on clang are as follows:

1. Boost Build adds -Wno-c99-extensions and -Wno-variadic-macros to
all clang builds.

2. All those libraries using -pedantic with Preprocessor (at least
Chrono, Thread and Test) wrap their use of Preprocessor with #pragmas
disabling the warnings.

3. All those libraries using -pedantic with Preprocessor (at least
Chrono, Thread and Test) add -Wno-c99-extensions and
-Wno-variadic-macros to all clang builds.

I have admin privs over Boost.Thread and Vicente's about to go on
holiday, so I can solve at least one of these libraries for cases 2
or 3.

We need consensus on the best approach to take however. Option 1 is
easiest, option 2 next easiest and option 3 could be tricky.

Some may, of course, wonder why any of those three libraries needs
Preprocessor in std=c++-11 mode anyway? Perhaps some legacy parts not
yet updated to variadics?

Niall

--
ned Productions Limited Consulting