Subject: Re: [boost] [GSoC] [Boost.Hana] Formal review request
From: Louis Dionne (ldionne.2_at_[hidden])
Date: 2014-08-01 14:55:01

Edward Diener <eldiener <at> tropicsoft.com> writes:

> [...]
>
> I seem to remember Matt Calabrese working on a Concepts-like library for
> C++ which needed a very C++11 compliant compiler. But I cannot remember
> what it was called, where it is, or what has become of it. When Boost
> Hana was mentioned I was also thinking if Mr. Dionne was aware of this
> previous work. Now you mention your own library. It seems that somewhere
> along the line there could be some confluence of ideas that would be
> more useful than the current concept check library.

I was aware of Boost.ConceptCheck and Eric's concepts for his range library,
but nothing else.

By the way, here's a general comment, not a reply to your particular message:
Hana type classes should be seen as a glorified Fusion tag dispatching system
before anything else. They are useful mainly because they are used in
conjunction with "data types", which are the same as Fusion tags. All of this
was built to make it easier to work with objects of heterogeneous types. The
goal was never to define a general framework for concepts, only to make a
Fusion tag dispatching system that was more flexible and in which defining
new sequences was easier.

I'll have to clarify this in the documentation, which, I agree, is misleading
in this regard.

Regards,
Louis